My House Rules (open for comment)
Wizards and Sorcerors
- A wizard's spellbook is merely a listing of instructions on how to cast
spells, listed in the wizard's own personal shorthand. It is not in of itself
magical. The cost to copy a spell into a spellbook is only 10gp per page.
However, a wizard cannot copy the spell to his spellbook until he has learned
it. This requires a spellcraft check as per the PHB
- Scrolls do not contain all the information needed to prepare a spell,
as a spellbook does. They contain the spell in a half-prepared form, magically
bound to a paper form. Thus, learning spells from scrolls is very difficult.
The spellcraft check to learn a spell from a scroll is 5 higher than that to
learn from a spellbook. Also the process takes much longer. Learning a spell from a scroll takes 1d6+1 days per spell level (Minimum 1 + 1/spell level). If a wizard loses his spellbook, and needs to recopy spells that he already knows, he can recreate the spell from a scroll. But this is a fairly difficult task. Spellcraft check at DC 15+spell level. Whether he fails or succeeds the scroll is expended.
- Learning a spell from a teacher is a much easier task than learning it alone. If a wizard has access to a teacher who knows the spell he wishes to learn, the DC is two less than it would otherwise be.
- When picking new spells to know upon leveling up, neither wizards nor sorcerors are restricted to the list in the PHB. They can also choose from among other rulebooks, or even player-designed spells. The character need never to have seen or even heard of these spells. However, all spells not from the PHB must be approved by the DM before being learned.
Also see notes on sorcerors in Tirotha
Fighters and Paladins
- Fighters and paladins may each choose at 1st lvl, 1 additional class
skill from among the following list: Spot, Diplomacy, Knowledge: Royalty and Nobility, Knowledge: Local, Profession: Any 1
- Rangers gain Knowledge: Local as an additional class skill.
- Rogues gain Knowledge: Local, and Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty as additional class skills.
- Elves need sleep just like all other races, though they are still immune
to magical sleep.
New Domains/Domain Changes
Several of the domains listed on the gods page
are not in the PHB. Unless noted below here, these refer to domains from
the Forgotten Realms Campaign Book. (I do not actually have the book, but
I have the listing of new domains and other goodies that was released
in this document).
Granted Power: Gains +2 divine bonus to saving throwing against Death spells and magical death attacks. May grant a +1 divine bonus to these saving throws to 1 person/ 2 levels/day as a spell-like effect lasting 1 minute/level.
- Cause Fear
- Gentle Repose
- Speak with Dead
- Death Ward
- Slay Living
- Darkwater (as in Relics and Rituals)
- Circle of Death
- Finger of Death
- Soul Bind
Granted Power:Gain a +2 on checks to rebuke or control undead. If
your turning checks indicate you may control an undead creature, you may
instead decide to destroy it (for example, if you already control your
- Invisibility to Undead
- Animate Dead
- Imbue Shadow (as in Relics and Rituals)
- Create Undead
- Control Undead
- Create Greater Undead
- Energy Drain
Granted Power:Immunity to the effects of all diseases, though
clerics with this power can (and gladly do) still carry infectious diseases
- Vermin Plague (As in Relics and Rituals)
- Plague Touch (As in Relics and Rituals 2)
- Chern's Exhalation (RR2) (A bit much perhaps?)
- Virulence (RR2)
- Healing Interdiction (RR2)
- Incapacitate (RR)
New Spells/Spell Changes
Animate Dead: Level becomes Clr 3, Undead 3, Sor/Wiz 3. Cannot be cast
by clerics of good dieties, or neutral dieties other than Zakath. Clerics of Zakath who overuse this spell risk losing their powers. The animation of Undead
is generally considered to be evil by most of the civilized races.
Create Undead: Level Becomes Clr 6, Undead 6, Evil 6, Sor/Wiz 7.
Create Greater Undead: Level Becomes Clr 7, Undead 7, Evil 7, Sor/Wiz 8.
Actually, I dislike the Create Undead/Greater Undead spells, and would like
to work something more specific to the undead created. (Create ghoul/ghast for example... would have to address the loss of flexibility.)
True Ressurection: Level becomes Healing 9. (That is, it can only
be cast as a Healing domain spell.)
I also plan to make available several of the spells from Defenders of the Faith, Tome and Blood, and Relics and Rituals, when I have the time to look at them more closely.
Sword of Gerrain a Holy Warrior prestige class for the Human God of War. Still under construction